The Bozeman Police Department has confirmed that the chemical that was reported at the Sundance apartments on Monday night was potassium cyanide gas. According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, potassium cyanide releases hydrogen cyanide gas, a toxic chemical asphyxiant that interferes with the body’s ability to use oxygen. Exposure to potassium cyanide can be rapidly fatal. Police, Gallatin County Sheriff’s deputies, and the Bozeman Fire Department were called to the apartment complex at around 10 p.m. on Monday. A neighbor said he heard yelling from the apartment. “So I came outside to check it out, there was a deputy on my floor, who was about to knock and told me to come out and sit next to the parking lot out there with everyone else there,” said Daniel Tetirick. “They were dealing with a chemical situation they said but after 15 or 20 minutes they let everyone back in except the people to the immediate apartments next to it.” When officers arrived they found a suicidal man who had manufactured the gas and was threatening to poison himself. The amount of poison was just a small vial, and a hazmat team was able to remove it and decontaminate the residence. Residents were evacuated for about 20 minutes, and the hazmat team did not get any chemical readings on the building. Officers that were exposed to the gas were evaluated at the hospital as a precaution and have returned to duty. The man was taken into protective custody and has undergone a mental evaluation. No criminal charges have been filed.